In the fall of 1882 a railroad line was completed
from Fort Dodge to Mallard. The depot was the first
building on the land plotted as the town of Mallard,
although George Inman had a small house on his property,
but the exact location is not known and Joe Milread
had a small shack in the neighborhood. Ed Kress
lived five miles east and worked on laying the tracks
to Mallard. He received $1 per day for his labor
and use of his team of oxen. John Graff also worked
for the railroad. The station was named "Mallard"
by Charles E. Whitehead, president of the railroad,
because of the great many "Mallard Ducks"
in the area.
As soon as the railroad was completed to town,
business places and homes were established. In
the winter of 1882-1883 Wm. Hackenberg built the
first general store and was the first postmaster.
In 1883 Wm. Stafford also built a store, C.H. Sands
opened a lumber yard, grain and coal business, Orrie
(O.B.) Kendall built a hotel, and Chas. Zeigler
built the first hardware store. Many other businesses
soon followed on either side of Main Street (Inman
Avenue) and along the railroad side-tracks. The
sidewalks and crosswalks were constructed of heavy
planks, but as they wore out they were replaced
with brick or concrete materials. Some church services
and public meetings were held in the depot and country
schools until in 1888 and 1889 a Catholic Church
was built, the next year a Lutheran Church was built,
followed by a Reorganized Latter Day Saints church
in 1899 [the orginal building still stands in good
condition though no services are held]. The Methodist
Church was built in 1900. In 1893 the Mallard Butter
& Cheese Ass'n (The Mallard Creamery) was organized.
1895 - In April 1895 articles of incorporation
were drawn up by Attorney Morling, Emmetsburg, for
a fee of $1.50. In the records it is interesting
to note that only the men voted. Forty men voted,
30 for and 11 against. Thus the town of Mallard
became an incorporated town and it was recorded
in Emmetsburg on July 19, 1895 at 5:30 p.m. There
were 164 residents then. J.P. Mulroney was elected
mayor, A.C. (Arvin) Sands was the first recorder,
trustees were Chas. Zeigler, C.J. Hahn, R.A. Brownlee,
G.A. Latt and G.L. Ashen. Frank G. Lodes was named
marshall and John Buhacker, street commissioner.
indicate the first school was built southwest of
town on the land owned by Ed Zaugg. In 1888 the
school was moved to a mile northwest of Mallard
and was known as the Fish School. Later it was bought
by Fred Cross and added to his homestead cabin.
The children from the town of Mallard attended the
Zaugg and Fish schools before a school was built
The Rush Lake Cemetary was located where it now
is. Bell Cross was the first person buried there.
Fred Cross built the first fence around the cemetary.
In 1900 two farmers, Wenzell Lodes, a Catholic and
William White, a Protestant, each gave an acre of
land from their adjoining farms for a Catholic Cemetery,
at its present location. Peter Grethen Sr. donated
the land for the present Ellington Township Cemetery
at the present location and the first burial was
1898 - Steiner and Hahn store was started.
1903 - The Mallard water system was started.
1904 - The Mallard Fire Department was organized.
1905 - January 18, The Farmers Elevator filed articles
of incorporation. August 4, The Mallard Telephone
Company filed articles of incorporation.
During the years that followed many businesses,
some manufacturing, school, homes and people became
part of the community as well as enterprising farmers
to the area surrounding Mallard, Iowa, "The
Home of the Friendly Ducks."
(The above history was taken from excerpts of the
centennial book entitled, "Mallard, Iowa -
The First Hundred Years", 1982)